Walker Deibel is an acquisition entrepreneur. He has cofounded three startups and acquired seven companies. He currently serves as the President of EDC, which helps companies with multiple locations manage their supply chain through sourcing, inventory, and fulfillment management.Walker is the Managing Director for Centra, which currently owns and manages three companies. In addition Centra is a partner in over a half dozen firms covering: distribution, manufacturing, education, childcare, film and television production, enterprise software, online content, and eCommerce.Walker is the bestselling author of Buy Then Build: How Acquisition Entrepreneurs Outsmart the Startup Game, released by Lioncrest Publishing. He has also produced almost a dozen films and had premieres at some of the world’s most esteemed festivals, including Sundance, SXSW, and Toronto International Film Festival. Listeners of this podcast would have learned all about building new ventures from the ground up, but not as much on acquiring ventures with a foundation to build upon, so it was great to get some fresh perspectives from Walker on a topic I haven’t explored in depth on this show.
We unpacked lots of lessons, including:
- When buying first makes more sense than building first
- How raising capital for an acquisition opportunity can become a virtual walk in the park when compared with raising capital for a startup; and
- How to identify and evaluate acquisition opportunities
With that, enjoy my conversation with Walker Deibel.
- Why you should buy an existing company rather than starting from scratch
- How to raise capital for an acquisition
- What to look for in an acquisition target
- Where to find target companies and how to build your own deal-flow
- How to value an acquisition target
- What to look for in yourself before acquiring a company
- The CEO mindset
- What to glean from the seller of the target company
- Jim Collins’ hedgehog theory
- How to transition leadership post-acquisition
- How results fuel motivation and passion
Employee to Entrepreneur book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/
Your host and occasional cybernetic organism, Steve Glaveski, is committed to helping people better navigate the growing uncertainty that technology change brings, in order to survive, thrive, create more value for the world and lead more fulfilling lives.
Steve is the CEO and co-founder of innovation accelerator Collective Campus, founder of children's entrepreneurship program Lemonade Stand, author of Amazon best-seller The Innovation Manager's Handbook and the Wiley book, Employee to Entrepreneur, investor in blockchain based fractional property investment platform Konkrete and is a keynote speaker and startup advisor.
When not fighting T-1000s Steve can be found in the gym, hiking, skating at the beach, attempting standup comedy, at a heavy metal show or socially lubricating at a whisky bar.