Scott H Young is a writer, programmer, traveler and avid reader of interesting things. For the last ten years he has been experimenting to find out how to learn and think better.
He’s the author of the Wall Street Journal bestseller, Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate…
Whether it’s learning a new talent, staying relevant, reinventing yourself, or adapting to whatever the workplace throws your way, Scott’s book offers nine principles to master hard skills quickly.
We explored why self-education is so important today, common learning pitfalls, and techniques you can apply to accelerate your own learning efforts, including a simple method that can help you to increase your retention by a factor of four.
With that, I bring you the one and only, Scott H Young.
- What is ultralearning?
- How Scott got into learning about learning
- Why ongoing self-education is so important today
- What’s wrong with our old ways of learning?
- How Scott completed a 4 year MIT program in just 12 months
- The power of retrieval
- Common learning pitfalls to avoid
- How to increase retention through spaced repetition
- Why we should attack our weaknesses
- The power of a learning project
- The forgetting curve
- The importance of feedback and learning into difficulty
- How our intuition can fool us into thinking we know things
- The 80/20 principle
- Peer learning
- Personalised learning
- Habit building
- How to read more books in 2020
- How to beat procrastination
● W: scotthyoung.com
● T: @scotthyoung
● Ge the book on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2R1UezT
● Get the audiobook on Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Ultralearning-Audiobook/0062945149
● Steve’s HBR article on L&D: https://hbr.org/2019/10/where-companies-go-wrong-with-learning-and-development
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
Steve's book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/
Watch on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2N77FLx
Your host and occasional cybernetic organism, Steve Glaveski, is committed to helping people better navigate the growing uncertainty that technology change brings, in order to survive, thrive, create more value for the world and lead more fulfilling lives.
Steve is the CEO and co-founder of innovation accelerator Collective Campus, founder of children's entrepreneurship program Lemonade Stand, author of Amazon best-seller The Innovation Manager's Handbook and the Wiley book, Employee to Entrepreneur, investor in blockchain based fractional property investment platform Konkrete and is a keynote speaker and startup advisor.
When not fighting T-1000s Steve can be found in the gym, hiking, skating at the beach, attempting standup comedy, at a heavy metal show or socially lubricating at a whisky bar.