Andrew Ross is the founder of URBNSURF, Australia’s first surf park, which opened its doors to the public in January of 2020 to much fanfare.
Prior to opening URBNSURF, Andrew spent twenty five years in various legal, corporate finance and investment banking roles before merging his profession and his passion to ultimately find his purpose, as you’ll learn in this conversation.
As you might imagine, building a two-hectare large surf park, that generates 1,000 ocean-like waves per hour is a Herculean feat, and one that delivers lots of both business and life lessons, lessons we unpack, so strap yourself in for my hour-plus long conversation with the founder of URBNSURF, the one and only, Andrew Ross.
- What is URBNSURF?
- Andrew’s origin story
- How investment banking prepared Andrew for entrepreneurship
- Where the inspiration for URBNSURF came from
- Challenges faced in turning the dream into reality
- Build it and they will come?
- The value of resilience
- Raising $30 million from investors
- How to overcome objections
- Risk management and redundancy
- How URBNSURF compares to ocean surfing
- Sacrifice and managing family expectations
- Company culture, trust, speed and innovation
- The value of short feedback loops
- Night surfing
- Board selection for URBNSURF
- Celebrity customers
- How Andrew stays on top of his mental and physical game
- Web: URBNSURF.COM
- Instagram: @URBNSURF
- The book Andrew mentioned: Barbarian Days - https://amzn.to/2TSr087
- The peptide I mentioned: https://www.bigboyz.store/products/regenotropin-bpc157
Listen to Future Squared on Apple Podcasts goo.gl/sMnEa0
Also available on: Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn, Stitcher and Soundcloud
Future Squared: www.futuresquared.xyz
Steve Glaveski: www.steveglaveski.com
Steve's book: www.employeetoentrepreneur.io
NEW Facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/futuresquared/
Watch on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2N77FLx
Your host and occasional cybernetic organism, Steve Glaveski, is committed to helping people better navigate the growing uncertainty that technology change brings, in order to survive, thrive, create more value for the world and lead more fulfilling lives.
Steve is the CEO and co-founder of innovation accelerator Collective Campus, founder of children's entrepreneurship program Lemonade Stand, author of Amazon best-seller The Innovation Manager's Handbook and the Wiley books, Time Rich, and Employee to Entrepreneur, investor in blockchain based fractional property investment platform Konkrete and is a keynote speaker and startup advisor.
When not fighting T-1000s Steve can be found in the gym, hiking, skating at the beach, attempting standup comedy, at a heavy metal show or socially lubricating at a whisky bar.